Rocketnut

Adopt a highway.

Don't know where to post this so here it is. Got this email today (don't know how they got my email):

Dear Mr. Hornsby III:

Your group applied to and was approved for the adopt a highway program April 2012. Your group is coming up on the terms & agreement expiration. I have not received a report of clean-up since 04/01/2012. As you are aware the contract requirement is a report of at least two roadside clean-ups per contract year.

Please schedule your clean-up within the next three months so that your terms & agreement will remain active. If I have not heard from you by 05/15/2014 your sign will be removed and your group will need to reapply to the adopt a highway program.

Thank you for tending to this matter.

Althea

Althea B B Fackrell, MA, BMus, AAS

D3 Volunteer Services Coordinator

Idaho Transportation Department

Boise ID 83707

althea.fackrell@itd.idaho.gov

332-7187

334-8917 (fax)

forgot the exact mile marker but is where ben stated.

be nice to continue this but john did all the organizational work and got it started and very few participated in the project. thank you to those who did participate and to those who have shown support for this project :ok:

post-4-145494338187_thumb.jpg

post-4-14549433819_thumb.jpg

I vote we do it again!! I only have a few requirements:

Let's do it soon, before it gets hot out!!! (We can do it the second time in the fall when it cools off again!)

Let's get more people! If we could have at least double the people then it wouldn't be too bad at all!

How many of you will come help?

Alright then..... It's you and me Muddy. If I drive half of it, can you drive the other half?

That pic above with mile post 80 is the Eastern edge of our section. I want to say that about mile post 72 is the Western edge.... ? If we could get 4 trucks (The 'chase' truck carries an orange warning sign of 'Road Clean Up Crew Ahead', the empty bags provided by ITD that we fill up with trash, and of course shuttles all of us out there who will be walking along and picking up the trash so generously donated by our fellow citizens and illegal aliens!), and crews of about 5 people per truck, this would go down fast.

We have approximately 8 miles of I-84 and are responsible for both sides (East and West Bound). That is why we need everyone to donate a morning and come out and help. If it would help I can ask around to see if I can find some 'friends' who would also help out. I think we could knock this out in just a few hours if we had lots of help!!

ITD is very strict on their rules for this. But it is pretty easy really. Must be 18 or older. Each person must fill out an application form ahead of time (They want to make sure everyone who participates knows the rules!).

Rules are simple: Everyone stays off the freeway, on the right side (No median cleanup!). So we clean from the pavement (No cleaning on the pavement!), to the edge of the right of way (The fence). We pile the trash bags along side the road as we fill them. ITD will come by and pick them up and dispose of them. Oh: No picking up containers with liquid in them. We just leave those lay. Guess the people who pick up the bags and dispose of them don't want to be exposed to urine.

I think that's all the rules. I'm sure if not or if there are any new ones we will find out when we schedule our clean up date and pick up the forms to be filled out. I think all we have to do is schedule a certain date (About 3 weeks in advance I believe), get the paperwork and get that all filled out, pick up the empty bags a day or so ahead of time and then go for it!

I vote for a Sat. Let's do it kind of early in the day (Maybe start picking about 9:AM). Finish as soon as possible and then have a place picked for a BBQ, party, get together for how ever long as everyone wants afterward!!!!

If we want to do this (READ: If enough people will join in so we can get it done!), I can volunteer to coordinate it.

I would say, post up here to 'sign' up and let us know how many people could come help with you.

Put me down for 2 - 3 right now.

I should state:

Everything is provided for this by ITD (The signs to warn everyone we are out there donating our time, working away!, the empty trash bags we will be filling and leaving alongside the road, and even hi-vis vests for each of us to help keep us safe!) except for those little hand extenders to retrieve trash without having to bend over. Might sound trivial, but after how ever many times of bending over.... You too will want one!! These are easy and cheap. Harbor Freight has them for a couple of bucks......

So, we will have to bring good shoes / boots, water / refreshments, and of course good food!!!! (I can bring a gas grill for after!!)

I can drive the chase truck again, but I have one caveat. If people say they want to do this, I expect them to be there. The area we have is the biggest section in Idaho, IIRC. The amount of people who said they would show up was more than the amount of people who actually showed up. This is NOT an activity that five or six members can handle. We need bodies out there; the more, the better.

I'm willing to walk a bit and pick up trash while driving the chase truck, but I will not subject myself to that amount of labor again. After the last clean up day, I spent several days on the couch popping hydrocodone like they were PEZ candy.

Call me a whiner or a cry-baby or whatever you like, I'll make the effort again IF WE HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THOSE WHO SAID THEY WOULD HELP. If we can't get that commitment from the club members, I say let it lapse.

indeed. we need commitments from those who will follow thru. this needs to be done while it is reasonably cool too.

This is possibly one of the best advertisements for our club at a very cheap price. I'll be willing to take a Saturday off (that's right, from work, without pay) to come help for the whole clean up this time. I'll also be more than happy to host a backyard BBQ afterwards for all those who attend. My place is now conveniently located just off the freeway.

That would be great, Ben. We also had a place to park/camp for the weekend behind the Stage Stop. We parked out back and some folks brought their trailers, so that is an option, too.

Driving this the other day: I think the West side boundary is at mile post 72.5 (So, just East of the Stage Stop exit).

It looks like people were generous with there 'deposits' also, so we can really make a difference by cleaning up this area again.

I had a big, long post explaining everything........ If any of you have any questions, fire away!

For now, let's get everyone to list how many people they can come with to help and then we can figure out a good day to do it on!!

My truck is currently down for parts. Susi heard a "clunk" and some "squealing" while she was driving the truck the other day. I pulled the rear wheels and drums. I found the left-rear brake shoes were cracked and falling apart and the right-rear parking brake cable end broke off inside the drum. :wall:

Looks like my unemployment status has finally caught up with me. I have the brake shoes, but have to wait until the new brake cable comes in sometime around the 8th. :evil:

Were you able to find everything needed? If we can help, let us know!!! I kind of think a lot of us are closer to being unemployed than we can imagine......... Things are going to get a lot worse in our country before we can get a hold of them and make it better.....

(Not to worry: I can bring 'Bull' for a chase truck if we need! I'm sure our only hang up on pulling this off is to get people to show up in a good turn out so it will go quickly. I'll bet we can have lots of trucks!!)

I have all the parts at the house. I have a service manual on CD coming, but the earliest expected delivery is the 11th. Ben said he could help, we just need to firm up the day and time. I have that info in another thread.

I'm sure we could have plenty of trucks for the clean-up, and I agree with you, it's the bodies that are needed most. With enough bodies, we'd have it done in a day. Muddy could drive the chase on one side, me driving on the other, one day and done. We need to arrange for drinks again, too. Last time, IIRC, folks brought their own snacks (the meal at The Stage Stop was more than enough for me that day), but we could throw some fruit, cheese sticks, or whatever, in the coolers, too. A heavy meal may not be a good idea for the amount of work needing done, but that's a personal decision.