Which youth rifle for young girls  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which youth rifle for young girls

• 7mm-08
    • 30-30
    • Other (please specify)

I would like everyone's opinion on youth rifles. Two of my daughters are going through Hunter's Ed right now, and I want to get them something better than the .22 cricket they have.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 7mm-08 over a .243, but I'm still trying to decide.

I suppose the big question is, are they comfortable with either one? If they don't have a preference, they'll probably be happy with whatever you provide. Go with the one that has the most ammo available. I'd go with the .243, but that's only because I want one for myself, too.

If I remember correctly, the .243 can be had with a youth/women's stock rather easily so you'll have the length of pull needed for the smaller framed person.

Also, from what I remember the .243 is easy to reload.

Win-win.

Most importantly get a rifle that fits and probly one that can be adapted as they grow if u hand load go with the 7mm-08 i think they are more versitile as a big game rifle u can loads much lighter to minamize recoil i started my wife with 120 gr noslers and a lite load and now we are using 139 gr hornady alot heavier load but if you dont hand load go with the 243.

Sent from my LG-AS730 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info and bumping this, I forgot about it. A couple weeks ago I was in Boise for a Dr appt. I stopped in Cabela's and a couple other gun shops. Cabela's had a Ruger .243 on clearance for $270. Needless to say, I dropped money on it. I knew if I didn't get that one on clearance, I would be paying a lot more for one later. Did you know Cabela's has layaway? Well they do, which is good.

It's an adult rifle, but .243s are light and I can carry a shooting block of some kind, so I'll mount the scope farther back to take up some of the butt length and the kids/wife will have a nice little deer rifle in less than 60 days.

It should work mite be a touch long but if they cant live with it i think ruger will sell you the compact stock i may be wrong tho

Sent from my LG-AS730 using Tapatalk

I did not know Cabela's has layaway. That changes a few things for me. Susi and I have been wanting to buy some .22 LR pistols for a long time now. Layaway would be very helpful for those purchases.

I didn't know either, until I asked em. They were trying pretty hard to get me to just sign up for their Cabela's credit card, but I let em know I wasn't adding another card to my wallet.

It is a 60 day layaway, so make sure you plan for a 2 month payoff.

Good thinking Adam. If the length seems to be too much of a problem, I'll look for a shorter stock.

I was going to suggest the .243 also. I'm sure you can pull that stock off and go with any number of youth sized ones (Either factory or aftermarket) to get the length down to what they need. If they need a shorter stock it is important enough to do that so they can properly use the rifle......

If you don't load, I'm sure there are a number of us here that can load you up just about any power of loads that you would need for these ladies!! I think that is key for most everyone: Make sure there isn't a lot of recoil to learn with. If you start out with a very large and powerful rifle you will likely get to flinching from the recoil and then keep that bad habit for a very long time.

I'm convinced that the .243 will be able to get them all the game they will want and encounter out here in the west. If you know you are going for something bigger, then make sure you have a premium bullet and the load to make it a success!