• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

MarineOne

I need my CCW, prefer the enhanced version

Where is a good place to get this?

Also, I need a left handed holster ..... do we have anyone else in my predicament that could offer advice on good choices for southpaws?

-Kris

Muddy's right!

Also look up Alien Gear Holsters.

They make great ones too! They have a lifetime 'we will trade you carriers' if you ever change models of what you are carrying! That and lifetime no questions warranty make these a great choice (Not to mention the fact that they function great as well!)!! Starting at $30 . . . . :popcorn:

As for my holster its a reverse-able. A friend of mine happen to have it and gave it to me. I wish I could tell you who makes it.

If you every see me I'll have my holster on my right hip but the grip of the gun facing forward. I'm southpaw as well and typically have fire radio on the left side and my pistol on my right. Only reason for the turn around friends could sneak up behind me and get my weapon too fast and easy so with it flipped its to hard to sneak up and pull it smoothly but you would have to face me now.

Still continue to open carry as much as possible. :gun:

Classes shouldn't be needed. For military to get a CCW, you just need to provide your shooting qualification sheet from the service. For the AF, it's a form 522.

In fact, most people probably never need to go through a CCW class unless you want that extra info. The lady here in Mtn Home that works at the license office said my wife could use her Hunter's Ed card from Texas as proof of firearm training to get her CCW. (I just turned in my application for CCW last week finally)

That's true in most cases for the "regular" CCW permit. Kris stated a preference for the enhanced CCW. Military training does NOT meet the requirements for Enhanced CCW certification. IDK why, but that was the answer I received when I spoke with some Enhanced CCW instructors. That was several months ago, so hopefully that requirement has changed. I have not researched further to find out yet.

True, Ben. Muddy, I'm not sure. There weren't any LEOs attending, and I don't remember if that question was asked at that time. I need to contact one of the cop shop's and ask some questions again. I have firearms qualifications from the US Air Force and the German Bundeswehr (Army) that says I know how to handle firearms. I have higher qualifications on more firearms with the German Bundeswehr than I do with the US Military. Funny world we live in, huh?

Craig, that last sentence sure sums it all up!

Years ago, soon after active duty, and after I was fully qualified with the sheriff's office here; I went in to get my CCW permit. Lady working the counter told me that my military police training would not work. So then I brought up the sheriff's training (I was seeking the CCW from the same sheriff!) and she stated that wouldn't work either. I said 'huh', wonder what would work...... She said, do you have a hunter safety card? I said sure, if I could find it. I got that card when I was 11 or 12. It is number about 834 or something. Must have been right after they started issuing them (Stu Merrill was my instructor! If any of you knew him....). I couldn't believe they took that hunter safety training over the other much higher and more recent training and qualifications!!

I think that lady was a deputies wife if I remember correctly...... She gave a coworker a line of crap too. He was telling me she was a liar and I didn't know how to react. So I asked him why he said that. Seems he went in and asked for the application and she told him she thought they were out of them. He said she ransacked the office drawers looking for them and finally said they must not have any left. He said if she had been telling the truth she would have looked in the drawer where they were supposed to be and not make up some story!! I told him what drawer they were in and if she pulled something like that next time then I would just go in there and get him one!!!! (Employees are allowed behind the counter.... )

I say all that just to say: Don't take any crap from any of them. If they are pulling some stunt like that, just deal with a different person. It's also so much easier today to get the correct information with the Internet!

I think we all should get the enhanced permit!! It is being recognized by a lot of states and now even by the campus carry law! Right now it is supposedly easier to get one (they will be adding a level of competency or something similar soon to be able to pass the class and get the permit.)

I got a call back from the Sheriff's dept. yesterday. My CCW is ready to be picked up. So after years of lollygagging, I will finally have the first level of CCW.

Anyone know if Utah and Colorado honor Idaho CCW? I imagine they do, but having trouble finding a list. I'm headed into both those states this week. I need to get a better sidearm for concealed carry. My Ruger .40 is way too big for that.

Awesome link, thanks. I knew there was something like that out there, but wasn't finding it. I thought Wa state accepted it, but I guess my home state is gayer than I thought the commiefornians had made it.

Yea, I can't remember if they will be taking our enhanced permit either....... They are bad!

I was surprised that OR will accept our enhanced! They are pretty bad too!

Well got back yesterday from a family trip through Utah and into Colorado. I took my .40 with me. I concealed into 3 hotels, 2 restaurants, and 2 national parks with no problems. There was a couple times it came uncovered, but I didn't have any issues with anyone that saw it.

I multiquoted these to provide followup information.

That's true in most cases for the "regular" CCW permit. Kris stated a preference for the enhanced CCW. Military training does NOT meet the requirements for Enhanced CCW certification. IDK why, but that was the answer I received when I spoke with some Enhanced CCW instructors. That was several months ago, so hopefully that requirement has changed. I have not researched further to find out yet.
law enforcement qualifications work????????????
Nope.
One would hope so...
Logic would dictate that, Ben, but who said any of this was arrived at logically in the first place.

I contacted the Sheriff's Office and spoke with the CCW section on Friday. I verified that Military training and Law Enforcement training DOES NOT qualify for the Enhanced CCW permit. LEOs have to go through this training as well. There is a $41.50 fee for the background check and an additional $30 after approval. The lady said the training is an 8-hour session and there will be a live-fire (approximately 98 rounds) range session as well.

So...it doesn't matter who you are or what your past/present occupation was/is, if you want the Enhanced CCW, you MUST attend a training course. I asked if she could send me a list of approved training sites. She said she would email me that information. I'll make a separate thread with the document listing firearm's instructors approved to conduct the "Enhanced" training.

Thank You Craig! That's great info!

(Didn't I mention above that they wouldn't take my military police or local sheriff training for even the 'regular' permit years ago? I think that is ridiculous considering that they accepted my Hunter Safety Card from when I was about 12.... I maintain I had a little better 'handling' instruction as well as some in depth law training in the years of training since I was 12!!!)

Yes, you did. That's why I asked them again. They accepted my Air Force training for my "regular" permit. I don't understand why they wouldn't accept yours. "Marksmanship" is on my DD-214 and I would think you have yours, too. On top of that, I would expect your MP training is much more involved than my military firearms training/requirements.

Like I said before, I have a higher qualification from the Germany Bundeswehr, but I am qualified to carry the necessary firearms for the Air Force, and my job didn't require carrying a firearm daily.